Cape Farewell, New Zealand

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Out of the Blue


I wake to the clanging of bells in the darkness. 

It’s an alarm that sounds insistently, echoing through the jungle. A few dogs bark and howl.

For a moment I am frightened. What can they mean? Fire? Tsunami?

Half-asleep, my imagination cannot stop the enormous wave that’s about engulf this flat, helpless island.

I shake John awake and he laughs a little, calms me with his hands, saying, “it’s Sunday, it’s Sunday. There’s no tsunami. Go back to sleep.”

Oh. Right.

Sunday.

The bells carry on, waking the island before the cocks crow.

                *             *             *             *             *

We sleep blissfully through church.

After breakfast, we drag the kayaks down to the beach. The tide is high, and the turquoise waves roll in with impressive height, even over the shallows. Out on the break, perfect spirals crash onto the reef.

It’s the roughest water I’ve even paddled in. I find it thrilling, and laugh a little crazily, totally terrified. Each rolling wave underneath me lifts me high up, and drops me gently back toward the reef. 

I’m too afraid to sit wobbling parallel to the incoming waves, so I take them at an angle, zigzagging north. Charging into the waves is intimidating work, but with my back to the breaks, riding the waves toward the beach, speed is of the essence. 

In no time, I have such a case of hysterical giggles that I can barely paddle at all. However, I find inspiration in the threat of waves behind me.

When we’ve had our fill, utterly soaked and stomach-sore from laughing, we beach the kayaks and don snorkel gear. 

               *             *             *             *             *

We’ve bought a disposable waterproof camera, and after checking that it floats, we wind the film and get ready to take some awesome underwater photography.

(Please note that I haven't yet developed the film, so the following are not our photographs.)

I’ve never tried snorkeling before, and I’m nervous that I’ll feel claustrophobic, or mentally unable to breathe underwater. But it’s really, really easy. I take a few breaths with my face in the water, and I’m used to it already.

John has some issues with his mask, and he swallows a lot of seawater before finally ditching the breathing tube altogether. Instead he holds his breath and dives deep, clinging to coral here and there, pointing out sea cucumbers, sea urchins, starfish, and hidden fish of all varieties.

I float on the surface with my face in the water. I’m so buoyant here, I barely have to move at all. The waves push me gently over the reef, and I see more colourful fish than I expected: neon blue damselfish, yellow butterflyfish, and many others.

The reef is not the riot of colours I had expected from nature documentaries. Instead, most of the coral seems dead, and beds of algae grows on their skeletons. However, the fish still seem to thrive here. Now and then, I see a bright piece of coral - turquoise, pink, or orange - that stands out from the beige and brown.
Longfin Bannerfish
Neon Damselfish
I follow a couple of yellow-and-black butterflyfish for awhile, and they lead me to a coral highway, with many more kinds of fish. I see black-and-white moorish idols, with their long banner fins trailing behind them; and many kinds of angelfish; and an entire colony of clownfish, guarding their eggs.  

Next I follow a multicoloured parrotfish. It eats the coral so loudly, I can actually hear it underwater.
Parrotfish (loud eater)
Near the surface, tiny, silver sailfish hang out, their long swords at the ready, nearly camouflaged against the sky.

The world underneath me is mostly populated with flat, disc-shaped, very graceful fish. Many of them float from side to side, seeming to regard me with each eye as I float overhead. I see large leopard-print fish that lie on the sand, then swim away when I approach. I catch glimpses of red fish hiding in little caves, and they peek after me when I pass. Then the strangest of all: out of the blue, three bizarre trumpetfish, long and thin, with upturned mouths, coming fearlessly towards me to investigate. They are so strange, I am actually a little frightened, and this time, I'm the one who swims away.

Most ignore my presence, going on with their business. A few seem shy, and peek out at me from coral caves, swimming in cautious circles. The clownfish guarding their eggs have no fear, and stand their ground doggedly - no matter how close John approaches. 

My favourite by far are the triggerfish: they are larger than life, and have such character.

Picasso Triggerfish
After several hours, I emerge from the water and lie down on the beach, feeling more tired than I should be. My chest has that pleasant ache I get from long swims. My lips are numb from the salt water, and my brain still thinks that the world is moving me gently, back and forth, with the waves. .

                *             *             *             *             *

There is one more thing. This is for Amelia.

At night, the geckos hide out near the lights - you can see their long bodies silhouetted on the paper lampshades, or standing motionless on the walls and ceiling.

They wait for the light to draw the insects near them, then attack.

In one blink, a moth becomes a broken wing, and in another moment, that disappears also.

2 comments:

  1. sounds nice!! watch out for the trigger fish: if they have some babies nearby they may attack you (don't know when reproductive season is in tonga..). Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring home a gecko for me?
    M

    ReplyDelete