Cape Farewell, New Zealand

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Round About Wellington

Still no job, although not for lack of trying. I have been to several interviews, wearing my best jeans and the new flats I bought just for this purpose. But most retailers and cafes want nothing to do with short-term backpackers, and as soon as they figure out I've got a working holiday visa, they clam up. Even if I bullshit to the utmost, about how much I love Wellington and how I'm planning to stay here for as long as I can, I still get no callbacks. I have submitted resumes to temp agencies, and to about five job openings a-day online. I had an interview this morning, and I have another tomorrow. Hopefully, someone bites.

Luckily, John is making a bit of money, so we're not hard up.

Unfortunately, John won an online auction for a car, so we'll have to spend a good chunk of money this week.

On the plus side, we are now the proud owners of a 1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon. We'll be roadtripping around the country in about a month, when John and Medellee get here in time for Christmas. Anna is already in the country, and Clare is in Nelson. Yes, it will be a merry Christmas this year, full of sunshine and friends, and with the car comes freedom.

Also next month, we are planning to book our PADI certificates. The course includes seven dives and all equipment, and the certificate is international, so we'll be able to scuba dive anywhere our travels take us from now on. It has been one of our main goals in coming to New Zealand, and I am excited to get underway. The course takes place between the 6th and the 19th of December.

The flat is working out. It's comfortable and cheap, and quiet, and has a nice view. Today I plan to patch our leaky air mattress, and it'll be perfect, once I start sleeping through the night.

I spend my time walking around Wellington, taking myself out for tea, visiting the libaray, and surfing the internet looking for jobs. I buy the groceries, do the laundry, and cook the meals. I am happy, if a little bored.

I am off to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment